Van Jones Biography
Born on September 20, 1968, Van Kapel Jones, is an author, lawyer, and an American news commentator. He is a CNN host and a co-founder of many non-profit organizations. Also, a three-time best-selling author of new york times. Additionally, in the year 2009, he was once a special advisor to President Obama for Green Jobs.
Van Jones Age
Jones was born on September 20, 1968. He is 52 years old as of 2021.
Van Jones Height
Jones stands at a height of 1.85m, which is equivalent to 6ft 1 inch.
Van Jones Family
Born in Jackson, Tennessee, Jones has a twin sister Angela. The two were born on September 20, 1968.
Their parents were school teachers. His mother Loretta Jean, was a high school teacher while his father, Willie Anthony, was a middle school principal.
Van Jones Wife & children
The journalist got married to Jana Carter, the year 2005. After close to 13 years of marriage, the duo divorced in the year 2019.
Jones together with his former wife Jana Carter, has two sons. Their sons are named Cabral and Mattai.
His estranged wife Jana Carter, filed for a divorce, from the show host and a lawyer husband Jones, in September 2018. His wife Jana, had asked the court to be granted joint legal and physical custody of their two kids. Additionally, the two continue to co-parent, despite not living together.
Also, During a joint statement, the duo declared that they stilled loved each other and they will continue running their business together and support each other’s growth.
Van Jones Dating Kim Kardashian?
Van Jones Career
In 1992, he was an associate of the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights. The committee placed him as a legal observer. Later on, Jones initiated their project of Bay Area police watch, in the year 1995. The project became the only bar-certified hotline and lawyer- referral for victims of police abuse, in the whole region.
The journalist founded NGO, the Ella Centre for Human Rights in 1996. He used his personal computer and operated from a closed office, which was within the space of Eva Paterson. Eva Paterson was the Executive director of the lawyers’ committee.
After the in-custody death of Aaron Williams in 1995, Jones, in cooperation with a police watch led a campaign to initiate the firing of a police officer Marc Andaya between 1996 and 1997. Marc Andaya, from the San Francisco police department, was accused of using excessive force which led to the death of Aaron.
Between 1999 and 2000, the lawyer led the anti- Proposition 21 campaign. Proposition 21, was seeking to increase penalties for the young offenders and have them tried as adults. During that time, he mobilized a student movement that protested against the proposition.
However, the approach failed, which led him to start networking and building alliances across politics, to enable him to achieve his missions. On the other hand, the proposition was voted in. After the proposition came to effect, rates of imprisonment among minors became high in the United States. In 2001, the Ella Baker Centre launched a campaign dubbed “Books Not Bars”.
The journalist, Jones went to a public school, Jackson Central-Merry High School, which is in his home town, where he graduated in the year 1986.
later on, he earned a bachelors degree in political science and communications
Van Jones Awards
Throughout his career, Jones has so far won a range of awards. Among others, his awards and honors include:
- Brick Award (1996)
- Rockefeller Foundation (1997-1999)
- Elle magazine, Green Award (2008)
- Essence magazine, 25 Most Inspiring African Americans (2008)
- Hubert H. Humphrey Civil Rights Award (2009)
- Eco-Entrepreneur Award, Institute for Entrepreneurship, Leadership & Innovation; Howard University (2009) Individual Thought
- Leadership, Energy & Environment Awards; Aspen Institute (2009)
- Time Magazine’s 100 Most Influential People in the World (2009)
- Global Exchange Human Rights Award (2010)
- Ebony Magazine’s Power 150 (2011)
- Rolling Stone Magazine 12 Leaders Who Get Things Done (2021)
- Ebony Magazine’s Power 100 (2013)
- National Urban League’s Toyota Clean Energy (2015) – Environmental Media Association’s Green Biz Global Innovator
- David E. Glover Vanguard Award (2015) from the Oakland Citizens Committee for Urban Renewal
- Webby Awards, Special Achievement Award ( (2017) for his “use of the Internet and social media during the 2016 election
- Lumiere Award (2019) from the Advanced Imaging Society for Magic Labs’
- Emmy Award (2020) for Outstanding Original Interactive Program
- Van Jones salary and net worth
The news commentator, Jones, earns a salary of $1million. His net worth is approximately $ 5million.